Choosing the best crates for Pit bulls can be challenging since there are many options available and many factors you need to consider, such as the design, size, and material.
Since Pit bulls are strong, energetic, and smart, they tend easily escape most crates. It’s kind of amazing how such a large dog can instantly become an escape artist when they need to. So, they require a strong crate with locks to make it harder for them to escape.
Although they should not stay in it for long, the crate still serves as a temporary home for them at times, so you need to make sure it’s big and comfortable enough for them so they wouldn’t feel confined or trapped in it.
Over the years, I have tested more crates than I’m comfortable with sharing here, and the upside of spending so much money on them is that you don’t have to since I now know what’s good and what’s not.
And I used all this experience to shortlist all of the available options to the handful of options you need to consider. Here, I discuss the 5 best crates for your Pitties that are strong, durable, and offer actually good value for your hard-earned money.
List of the Best Crates for Pit Bulls in 2022
|Crate||Why Choose it|
|LUCKUP Heavy Duty Dog Kennel and Crate||Best Overall|
|MidWest Homes for Pets Single and Double Door Crate||Best Folding Crate|
|ECOFLEX Dog Crate||Best Wooden Crate|
|Amazon Basics Portable Soft Crate and Carrier||Best Soft Crate|
|SportPet Designs Plastic Travel Crate||Best for Air Travel|
The 5 Best Crates for Pit Bulls in 2022
1. Best Overall – LUCKUP Heavy Duty Dog Kennel and Crate
If your Pitbull is aggressive and tries to chew, bite, or crash the crate to get out, then this heavy-duty dog crate is what you need to keep the dog contained
It’s made from strong metal and designed with secure locks and safety buckles to prevent large, aggressive dogs from escaping. The metal is corrosion-resistant steel with a non-toxic silver finish, so it will not easily get damaged.
The crate has two doors; one door is on the side to let the dog in and out, while the other door is on the top to allow owners to interact with the dog. It’s easy to assemble and has wheels on the bottom, so it can be easily moved around.
It comes in a variety of sizes suitable for medium and large breeds. It also comes in various shades of silver.
Pros VS Cons
- It’s made from strong corrosion-resistant metal that won’t easily get damaged
- It’s designed with secure licks and safety buckles to prevent escaping
- It has two doors to allow entry and interaction
- It has rotating wheels on the bottom so it can be moved easily
- It’s easy to assemble
- It comes in multiple sizes and color options
- The silver finish on the bars of the crate is easily scratched or peeled off
- It’s very expensive compared to other options
If you want a strong crate that can handle your dog’s aggressive behaviors, then this heavy-duty crate is the best option for you.
2. Best Folding Crate – MidWest Homes for Pets Single and Double Door Crate
This folding crate is highly convenient for all dog owners.
It’s easy to assemble, and since it can be folded down, it’s easy to store or carry around. It also comes with a leak-proof removable plastic tray, so it will be easy to clean.
The construction of the crate is secure as it comes with reinforced locks and rounded corners. The bars provide great ventilation for the dog and allow you to monitor it while it’s inside.
It comes in various sizes to suit all dogs comfortably. It also comes with a single door or a double door.
Pros VS Cons
- It’s easy to assemble
- It can fold down, so it’s portable and easy to store
- It comes in various sizes to fit all dogs
- It comes with reinforced locks to prevent escape attempts
- It provides great ventilation and allows monitoring
- It comes with a leak-proof removable plastic tray for easy cleaning.
- It’s very affordable.
- It’s not the most durable option compared to other crates.
If you are looking for a crate that’s easy to assemble and store and also comes at a good price, then this is the best option for you.
3. Best Wooden Crate – ECOFLEX Dog Crate
This wooden crate is the best option if you’re looking for a dog crate that will look good with your home decor as it can also function as a table. This means that when it has done its job as a crate, whether because the dog has outgrown it or because they have been well trained enough to not need a crate, it can serve a new purpose in life by being a coffee table.
Do Not, and I should not even have to say this but here we go, use it as a table with the dog inside.
It’s made from environmentally-friendly material known as EcoFlex, which is recycled plastic and wood.
It’s very durable and won’t get easily cracked or damaged. It’s also very secure as it comes with strong latches on the door.
The crate comes in various sizes to fit all dogs comfortably. It also provides good ventilation through windows on the sides with stainless steel bars.
Pros VS Cons
- It’s made from environmentally friendly, durable material
- It comes with secure strong latches on the door
- It provides good ventilation
- It fits in well with home decor and can function as a table
- The door doesn’t open fully on the outside
- It has limited color options
If you’re looking for a durable dog crate that will fit in with your home decor and serve another purpose in life after it’s done being a crate, then this is the best option for you.
4. Best Soft Crate – Amazon Basics Portable Soft Crate and Carrier
Soft crates are the best option for traveling or for an overnight trip. You will not need to carry a heavy metal crate with you or take a lot of time to assemble it.
This crate is very easy to carry around as it comes with two sturdy straps on the top. It’s also collapsible for easy storage.
It’s made from hard polyester, PCV, and mesh, which makes the crate durable and secure enough, so your dog can’t escape from it or damage it with its paws. The mesh also provides good ventilation for the dog, and it’s generally easy to clean.
It comes in various sizes and color options. It also includes a water bottle holder and a small pocket to keep the dog’s ID card.
Pros VS Cons
- It’s easy to carry as it comes with two sturdy straps
- It’s collapsible for easy storage.
- It provides good ventilation
- It’s made from durable materials
- It’s easy to clean
- It’s secure to prevent the dog from escaping
- It comes in various sizes and color options
- The padding on the inside is white, which can easily get dirty
- The polyester has a distinctive smell that might be unpleasant for the dog.
If you are looking for a durable and portable dog crate that’s easy to carry and store when traveling, then this is the best option for you.
5. Best for Air Travel – SportPet Designs Plastic Travel Crate
Not all dog crates are airline approved. However, this excellent travel from SportPet is the most ideal as it meets most airline specifications and comes with a sticker to indicate that there’s a live animal inside.
It’s made from a hard plastic shell that’s durable and strong enough to handle heavy dog breeds. It also has a four-way door look to provide extra security and prevent the dog from escaping.
This crate will be easy to assemble and carry or push around in the airport as it comes with a strong handle on the top as well as four plastic wheels on the bottom.
It has 360-degree ventilation, so your dog can breathe properly and get enough light while it’s inside. It also comes with clip-on bowls for food and water that you can attach to the metal bars on the door.
Pros VS Cons
- It meets most airline specifications and comes with live animal stickers
- It’s made from durable plastic material
- It comes with a handle and wheels, so it’s easy to carry and move around
- It provides good ventilation and allows in light
- It’s easy to assemble
- It comes in multiple sizes
- It comes with free clip-on bowls for food and water
- A slight inconvenience is that the snaps that hold the bottom to the top are made of plastic. If one breaks, you will need to contact the manufacturer for a replacement.
If you are looking for a durable and secure dog crate that meets airline specifications, then this is the best option for you.
How to Pick the Best Crate for Your Pit Bull?
Crates are an essential part of the dog’s life as they’re where the dog sleeps and spends most of its time.
Pit bulls are muscular and strong, you need to carefully pick a crate that will withstand their strength so that it won’t easily get damaged or need replacement too often.
If you want to choose the best create for your Pit bull, here are a few things you need to keep in mind.
Decide where you will be placing the crate
It’s very important to decide where you will be placing the crate. You don’t want the crate to take up too much space at your home or make the dog feel isolated. The crate should also not be put outside permanently, because Pit Bulls can not handle the cold weather very well.
Once you determine the size of the crate that will be most comfortable for your dog, choose an area of the house that’s easily accessible to the dog to place the crate.
If you’re to change the location of the dog’s crate frequently or want to take it outside, then make sure that the crate you choose is portable and easy to move.
Choose the crate according to the dog’s temperament
The temperament of your dog can determine the type of crate you are choosing for him.
If your Pit bull has high energy or tends to display destructive behaviors like chewing or biting, then you need a strong, durable crate that’s made of heavy-duty metal. On the other hand, if your Pitbull is lazy or calm, then you might go for a simple metal wire crate.
If your Pitbull suffers from separation anxiety, then a crate with windows will be the most ideal as it will provide good visibility of the outside and make the dog feel less isolated.
Choose the right crate size for your dog
Your Pit bull needs to have enough space inside the crate so it can move freely as well as sit up or turn around. However, the crate shouldn’t be too large so that it won’t take up too much space and be hard to move around.
The ideal crate size for Pit bulls is 36 inches in length, 24 inches in width, and 24 inches tall. It should also handle a weight of 40 to 80 pounds.
Make sure to measure your dog’s height and weight before buying the crate, and keep in mind that you will need to change the crate to a bigger size as the dog gets older.
The Key Features to Look for in a Crate
Here are the key features that you should look for in any crate:
- Windows – Having windows will provide the dog with enough ventilation and allow in more light so that the dog wouldn’t feel confined or isolated. It will also allow you to monitor the dog.
- Quality material – Choosing a high-quality material will guarantee that the crate will be durable enough to withstand the dog’s strength or aggressive behavior. It will also not need to be replaced often.
- Strong latches – Having strong latches on the crate’s door will make the crate secure enough and prevent the dog from opening the door to escape.
- Ease of assembly – The easier the crate is to assemble, the more comfortable you will be. If the crate can be easily folded, it will be easier to move around and carry.
- Ease of maintenance – The crate should be easy to take apart and clean, so it won’t cause any unpleasant odor to build up around you and the dog.
Of course getting a stronger crate will help in preventing your Pit bull from escaping, but it should not the default solution to go to.
Instead, it should only serve as a complimentary solution, with the primary solution being finding out the reason why your Pitbull is trying to run away in the first place and fixing the root issue first.
Frequently Asked Questions
At What Age Should You Start Crate Training Your Pit Bull?
The age at which you should start crate training your Pit bull is as early as 8 months. The earlier you start, the easier it will be to get your Pit bull to adapt to being inside the crate. It will also help control the dog’s behavior as it grows older.
How Long Can a Pit Bull Stay Inside the Crate?
A Pit bull can spend up to four hours inside the crate. You shouldn’t leave them too long inside the crate, especially while locking the door. That is because being shut inside might cause them to develop confinement anxiety which is a condition similar to claustrophobia in humans.
Can A Pit Bull Sleep Inside the Crate?
A Pit bull can sleep inside the crate. However, you need to make sure that the crate is comfortable enough for the dog to sleep in by placing some bedding and blankets. You can also put some of the dog’s favorite toys to make the crate more inviting.
PitbullsHome Personally-Tested Picks for Pitties:
- The Best foods for Pit Bull Puppies that are nutritious and delicious – Help them grow stronger without declaring bankruptcy 😉
- Training or entertaining? These treats for Pit Bulls are simply the best (with options for dogs with sensitive stomachs)
- According to my vet, these are the best foods for Pit Bulls with Skin Allergies.
- The Best Collars for Pitbulls (comfortable and dependable)
- The Best Pit Bull Leashes (Durable and Worth Every Penny)
- The Best Crates for Pitbulls (Affordable options for even the stronger Pitties)
- Best Muzzles for Pitbulls (Comfortable and Safe Muzzles)
- The Best Shampoos for Pitbulls (including shampoos for sensitive skin)
- The Best Chew Toys for Pit Bulls (That will actually stand their teeth)
- The Best Brushes for Pit Bulls (For amazing coats with the least grooming effort)
- The Most indestructible and comfiest Beds for Pit Bulls (That they will actually like and use)
If you like this article, share it! (it will mean a lot to us ❤️)