The 13 Best Food for Pit Bull Puppies in 2022 To Grow Strong & Healthy
Feeding dogs is more complicated than you think. You can’t just give them the leftovers from your meal and walk away. You must provide them with food tailored to their specific needs, especially if they’re puppies.
When it comes to Pit Bull puppies, they need to eat enough calories and nutrients to sustain their energy levels and help their bodies develop in a healthy manner.
The best food for Pit Bull puppies should offer a wide variety of nutrients. Since there are various dog food products on the market with different ingredients, it might be challenging to find the one that’s ideal for your puppy.
To help you make the right choice, here are some recommendations for the best food for Pit Bulls puppies on the market.
Here are my picks:
- Wellness Complete Health Dry Dog Food – Best Overall
- Purina ONE Natural High-Protein Puppy Food – Runner Up
- Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food – Best on A Budget
- Acana Wholesome Grains Limited Ingredient Diet Dry Dog Food – Best for Allergies
- Castor & Pollux ORGANIX Chicken & Oatmeal Recipe Dry Dog Food – Best Organic
- Purina Pro Plan Development Beef & Rice Puppy Food – Highest in Protein
- Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Chicken & Oat Dry Dog Food – Best for Bone Growth
- Wellness CORE Grain-Free Chicken & Turkey Dog Food – Best Grain Free
- Purina Pro Plan Development Chicken & Rice Wet Dog Food – Best Wet Food
- Stella & Chewy’s Freeze-Dried Raw Dinner Patties – Best for Sensitive Stomachs
- ORIJEN Puppy Large Grain-Free Dry Food
- Nulo Frontrunner Dog Food for Puppies
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy Dry Dog Food
Now, let’s discuss how each of these picks deserve a spot on our list and what makes each of them special
The 13 Best Food Products for Pit Bull Puppies in 2022
1. Best Overall – Wellness Complete Health Dry Dog Food
Our top choice is this Wellness Complete Health formula since it combines chicken with a variety of high-fiber grains, such as oats, barley, peas, and brown rice. It’s also free from GMOs, animal by-products, fillers, or artificial preservatives.
It is advised to feed your puppy a diet with protein and whole grains rather than a grain-free diet, as this will help prevent any nutritional deficiencies and perhaps heart disease.
The Wellness Complete Health formula also contains omega fatty acids, antioxidants, and glucosamine are strong nutrients that help minimize inflammation, promote healthy skin and coat texture, and support bone development
- Contains a wide range of nutrients to help support the development of the puppy’s body
- Minimizes inflammation and supports bone development
- Promotes healthy skin and coat texture
- Free from GMOs, animal by-products, fillers, or artificial preservatives
- Made in the United States with only the best ingredients
- Could cause an allergic reaction in some puppies
If you want high-quality dog food that contains a wide range of nutrients to help your puppy grow and remain healthy, then this is the best option for you.
2. Runner Up – Purina ONE Natural High-Protein Puppy Food
This Purina ONE SmartBlend is another top choice for puppies as it offers optimal levels of protein and other necessary nutrients to help the puppy develop.
The main ingredient in the formula is real chicken to provide the protein needed for developing the muscles.
It contains Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA), a nutrient that helps with the puppy’s vision and brain development. It also contains antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, which help strengthen the immune system and support bone and joint development.
It’s free from any fillers or animal by-products and comes in the form of dry food or wet food, so it will be simple for puppies to digest without any problems.
- Contains real chicken to provide optimal protein levels
- Helps with eyesight and brain development
- Helps with immune system strength
- Helps with bone and joint development.
- Comes in the form of dry food or wet food
- Easy for puppies to digest
- Free from any fillers or animal by-products
- Could cause bad breath
If you’re looking for a high-protein dog food that’s easy for puppies to digest, then this is the best option for you.
3. Best on A Budget – Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food
This Hill’s Science Diet dry dog food is made of all-natural ingredients, free from artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives, and comes at a very affordable price.
It’s formulated with a wide range of nutrients to improve the puppy’s immune system and support its overall growth.
It contains quality protein to help with muscle growth and a balanced set of minerals to promote strong bones and strong teeth. It also contains DHA, which will help with the puppy’s vision and brain development.
- Made from all-natural ingredients with a wide range of nutrients
- Promotes strong bones and strong teeth in puppies
- Improves immune system and supports overall development in puppies
- Helps with the puppy’s eyesight and brain development
- Free of artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Comes at an affordable price
- Could cause bad breath and gas
If you’re looking for an all-natural budget-friendly dog food that will improve your puppy’s immune system and supports its development, then this is the best option for you.
4. Best for Allergies – Acana Wholesome Grains Limited Ingredient Diet Dry Dog Food
Pit Bulls are prone to have food allergies; however, this Acana Wholesome Grains dog food will provide full nourishment for your Pit Bull puppy while reducing the risk of triggering any allergies.
It’s also ideal for puppies with sensitive stomachs who are just picky about what they eat.
The formula contains 60 percent proteins that come from lamb or duck meat which will help with the puppy’s growth and muscle development. It also contains whole pumpkin and fiber-rich grains like whole oats and whole sorghum, which will help improve the puppy’s digestive health.
It doesn’t contain any potato components, legumes, or gluten. It’s also free from artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
- It’s high in protein to help with growth and muscle development
- It’s high in fiber to improve digestive health
- Free from artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives
- Free from potato components, legumes, and gluten
- Has a strong odor that can be unpleasant for some dogs and owners
If you’re looking for a nourishing dog food that’s suitable for puppies with sensitive stomachs or allergy problems, then this option is the best for you.
5. Best Organic – Castor & Pollux ORGANIX Chicken & Oatmeal Recipe Dry Dog Food
This Castor & Pollux ORGANIX establishes a new standard for pet nutrition as it is prepared with USDA organic and non-GMO certified ingredients.
The formula contains natural chicken, nutrient-dense natural flaxseed, organic blueberries, natural sweet potatoes, fiber-rich organic oats, and organic barley. It’s completely free from artificial preservatives, flavoring, or coloring.
While it is more expensive than other choices, it offers a wide variety of nutrients that will be extremely beneficial for your puppy’s health.
The organic ingredients will help improve the puppy’s digestion and reduce the risk of allergies. It will also promote healthy skin and hair as well as support the overall growth and development of the puppy’s body.
- Made of USDA organic and non-GMO certified natural ingredients.
- Improves digestive health
- Promotes healthy skin and hair
- Support overall growth and development
- Completely free from artificial preservatives, flavoring, or coloring
- Higher in price compared to other products on the list
If you’re looking for organic dog food made from non-GMO ingredients that will help your puppy grow and remain healthy, then this is the best option for you.
6. Highest in Protein – Purina Pro Plan Development Beef & Rice
This Purina Pro Plan Development formula is the best protein source for your puppy since it combines beef with a variety of high-fiber grains, such as oats, barley, and brown rice.
It will help support your puppy’s developing joints and cartilage to ensure that it will grow to reach its full size.
The additional omega fatty acids, antioxidants, and glucosamine are strong nutrients that help minimize inflammation and promote healthy skin and coat texture.
- Made from natural ingredients
- Contains a high protein value
- Support the development of joints and cartilage
- Minimizes inflammation
- promote healthy skin and coat texture.
- May cause an upset stomach for some puppies
If you’re looking for nutritious food for your Pit Bull puppy with a high protein value to support its physical development, then this is the best option for you.
7. Best for Bone Growth – Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Chicken & Oat Dry
Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Chicken & Oat Dry is the finest puppy chow that supports your puppy’s energy requirements and bone growth.
The formula offers a high protein and calcium content from the flavorful chicken ingredients as well as whole grains for healthy bone formation. Additionally, it contains glucosamine and chondroitin to support healthy muscles and DHA from fish oil to support healthy skin and coat.
It has no added chemicals, artificial flavors, or preservatives, so it’s unlikely to upset your puppy’s stomach.
- Made from natural ingredients with a wide range of nutrients
- Contains high protein and calcium
- Supports bone and muscle growth
- Supports healthy skin and coat
- Doesn’t contain any added chemicals, artificial flavors, or preservatives
- May cause bad breath
If you’re looking for healthy puppy food with high protein and calcium content to support bone growth, then this is the best option for you.
8. Best Grain Free – Wellness CORE Grain-Free Chicken & Turkey Dog Food
This Chicken & Turkey Recipe from Wellness CORE Dry Dog Food has a grain-free formula with ingredients like chicken, turkey, fish oil, and fruits and vegetables.
The diet contains taurine, glucosamine, omega fatty acids, probiotics, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and antioxidants to assist healthy growth. It doesn’t contain any grains, fillers, maize, soy, additives, gluten, or artificial flavors.
The highly nutritious formula will help support the puppy’s overall growth development, including its bones, muscles, heart, skin, coat, and immune system.
- Made from natural ingredients that offer a high nutrient value
- Helps support the puppy’s overall growth and development
- Completely Grain-free and Gluten-Free
- Doesn’t contain any additives or artificial flavors
- The taste may be too bland for some puppies
If you’re looking for completely grain-free dog food for your Pit Bull puppy that will offer a high nutrient value to support the puppy’s overall growth and development, then this is the best option for you.
9. Best Wet Food – Purina Pro Plan Development Chicken & Rice Wet Dog Food
Purina Pro Plan Development Chicken and Brown Rice Entrée Canned Dog Food is a wonderful alternative if your puppy loves wet food or if it has trouble chewing dry food. It comes in a set of 12 cans which provide good value for money.
The first component is real chicken, which has a high protein content that promotes the growth of lean muscle and increases the puppy’s energy levels.
It also contains 23 necessary vitamins and minerals for a comprehensive and well-balanced diet as well as enough DHA for the development of the brain and vision. It doesn’t contain any artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Contains real chicken as the first ingredient
- Made from natural ingredients to provide a balanced diets
- Doesn’t contain any artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Helps promote the growth of lean muscles
- Increases the puppy’s energy levels
- Helps support the development of the puppy’s brain and vision
- Offers good value for money
- Doesn’t have a high shelf life
If you’re looking for highly nutritious wet food for your puppy to make chewing easier, then this is the best option for you.
10. Best for Sensitive Stomachs – Stella & Chewy’s Freeze-Dried Raw Dinner Patties
These Stella & Chewy’s patties are made of freeze-dried salmon and grass-fed beef. They’re perfect for dogs with sensitive stomachs or any other dietary restrictions.
Meat, organs, and crushed bone make up 95% of the formula for high digestibility. For healthy growth, the formula also contains probiotics, antioxidants, and DHA.
The food has no hormones, grains, antibiotics, or additives and has undergone minimal processing. A US-based kitchen produces each small batch using ingredients that are procured ethically.
- Freeze-dried with minimal processing
- Made from natural ingredients with various nutrients
- Produced in US-based kitchens using ethically sourced ingredients
- Easily-digested formula for dogs with sensitive stomachs
- Difficult to serve because it crumples easily
If you’re looking for freeze-dried food that will be easy for puppies with sensitive stomachs to digest properly, then this is the best option for you.
11. ORIJEN Puppy Grain-Free Dry Food
This ORIJEN grain-free dry food is another fantastic option for puppies. It is formulated to be biologically appropriate, with high protein and fat levels derived from animal sources such as free-range chicken and turkey, fish, and eggs.
For the maintenance of healthy muscles, joints, and bones, animal sources also include organs and bones. The kibble also has a rich flavor that pups enjoy since it is freeze-dry coated.
The product is made in the United States using high-quality ingredients sourced from trusted sources and contains no grains or artificial additives.
- Made from all-natural ingredients from trusted sources
- Contains high protein and fat levels derived from animal sources
- Has a rich flavor that pups enjoy
- Promotes healthy muscles, joints, and bone
- Free of grains and any artificial additives
- Has a strong odor that can be unpleasant for some dogs and owners
If you’re looking for all-natural dog food made from real animal sources to help your puppy grow and stay healthy, then this is the best option for you.
12. Nulo Frontrunner Dog Food for Puppies
Nulo Frontrunne Dry Dog Meal provides a nutritionally balanced meal for your puppy.
It contains animal-based proteins. The first components are real, deboned chicken and turkey, followed by low-glycemic grains. It also contains omega fatty acids, which are beneficial to the puppy’s skin and coat as well as probiotics for the puppy’s immunological and digestive health
Without the addition of pea or potato protein, more than 75% of the protein is derived from animal sources. As a consequence, high-quality protein helps with muscle growth.
- Contains protein derived from real animal sources
- Supports immunological and digestive health
- Beneficial to the skin and coat
- Helps with muscle growth
- Does not contain pea or potato protein
- Offers a nutritionally balanced diet
- Doesn’t offer a variety of flavors
If you’re looking for dog food that will provide your puppy with a nutritionally balanced meal to support its overall health and growth, then this is the best option for you.
13. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy Dry Dog Food
This recipe from Blue Buffalo Wilderness dog food contains high-protein kibble formulated to provide puppies with all the nutrients they need for better muscle and bone development.
The primary element for the development of cognitive abilities is chicken, followed by DHA and ARA. The kibble contains trademarked LifeSource Bits, which are antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals designed by nutritionists and veterinarians to suit the needs of different life stages.
No artificial flavors, by-product meals, maize, wheat, or soy are present in the diet, which was made particularly for pups of large breeds.
- Contains high protein from real animal sources
- Packed with nutrients vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants
- Supports muscle and bone development.
- Free of artificial flavors or by-products
- Higher in price compared to other products
If you’re looking for dog food that is all-natural, high in protein, and packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants for your pitbull puppy, then this is the best choice for you.
How to Pick the Best Food for Pit Bull Puppies?
Pit Bulls are considered puppies until they reach the age of 12 to 18 months. During that time, they need to have a certain kind of diet that will help their bodies develop and remain healthy.
In order to choose the best food for Pit Bulls, there are certain factors you need to keep in mind. So, let’s break down these factors in more detail:
Make Sure to Check the Ingredients
Many veterinarians advise against feeding a grain-free diet to dogs since it may raise the risk of dietary deficits and heart disease.
It’s also crucial to seek diets with high-quality protein sources that are suited for your dog’s age and activity level. Always select a diet that adheres to AAFCO guidelines.
Even though dog food claims to contain whole meats, this does not rule out the presence of by-products and meals. It is critical to avoid by-products since they do not provide as much high-quality protein as whole meats.
The absence of artificial colors does not imply the absence of artificial flavor. You should always check the list of ingredients before choosing whether to purchase a certain puppy food.
Look up any unfamiliar ingredients to see how they will influence your dog’s health over time. Avoid meals that include any form of artificial component.
Look for diets that include nutritious fruits and vegetables like peas, carrots, and beets to ensure that your dog gets minerals and vitamins from actual food rather than supplements added to the food formula.
Ensure that any meal you pick meets the dietary guidelines set out by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO). If you can’t determine from the package, you may obtain the state’s feed control department’s contact information.
Your state contact can tell you if the puppy food you’re thinking about buying meets the feed control regulations.
Consider the Dog’s Size and Life Stage
When purchasing dog food, ensure that it is appropriate for both the age and size of your pet.
The majority of Pit Bulls are medium to big dogs, and their dietary requirements may differ depending on their age, how active they are, and whether they have any underlying health conditions.
If you think your Pit Bull puppy may be too big or too small for their size, make sure to check out our guide to Pit Bull growth with size and weight at every age here.
Be Careful When Transitioning to a New Diet
When transitioning your puppy to a new diet, do not fully stop feeding it the old diet. Instead, it’s a good idea to gradually introduce the new meal to avoid diarrhea and constipation for both you and your dog.
Feed your puppy a combination of the old and new food for a few days before entirely transitioning to the new diet.
If you wish to combine wet and dry foods, do so gradually. Begin by combining a spoonful of wet food with a tablespoon of dry food. If your puppy accepts it well, start increasing the wet food a tablespoon at a time until you’ve established the ideal wet/dry food ratio for your puppy.
Make Sure to Test the Dog for Allergies
If you believe your Pit Bull has a food allergy, consult with your veterinarian about getting them tested.
Food containing protein from a single source may be more pleasant on sensitive stomachs generally. You can learn more about why Pit Bulls have a sensitive stomach here.
Look for the AAFCO Certified Seal
You should only purchase dog food that has been approved by the Association of American Feed Control Officials, regardless of the breed of your dog.
AAFCO works collaboratively with the FDA to establish excellent pet nutrition standards, with particular needs stated in distinct nutrition profiles.
The AAFCO seal indicates that the dog food is “complete and balanced” for the given breed and developmental stage.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Kind of Diet Do Pit Bulls Require?
Pit Bulls require a diet that contains high-quality animal-based protein sources like beef, chicken, lamb, pork, eggs, and fish, as well as plant-based protein sources like grains, legumes, and vegetables. The diets should also be high in fats, vitamins, and minerals.
Is Rice Good for Pit Bulls?
Rise is good for Pit Bulls, and they can consume it as long as it’s cooked properly. Brown rice is high in proteins and fiber, making it ideal for a long-term diet. White rice, on the other hand, is blander, making it healthier for dogs with upset stomachs.
Can Pit Bulls Eat a Raw Food?
Pit Bulls can eat raw food. However, it’s not recommended to feed them too much raw food because it’s hard for them to digest and will put them at risk of developing bacterial infections such as salmonella. Try to keep the largest portion of their diet cooked and feed the raw food occasionally.
When to Switch Your Pit Bull Puppy to an Adult Diet?
You can switch your Pit Bull puppy to an adult diet when it reaches 12 to 18 months of age. When switching the dog’s diet, make sure to do it gradually over the course of 5 to 7 days in order to avoid causing any digestive problems or s or triggering an allergic reaction.
How Many Meals Should Pit Bull In A Day?
Pit Bulls should eat two main meals in a day with some treats or snacks in-between. It’s recommended to match the timing of the dog’s meals to your own meals to establish a sense of routine in the dog’s life. Also, be careful not to go over the dog’s daily calorie intake to prevent weight gain.
How to Deal with Food Allergies in Pit Bulls?
To deal with food allergies in Pit Bull, you need to test the dog to determine which food it’s allergic to, then eliminate this food from the dog’s diet. Food allergies cannot be cured completely, but you can avoid triggering an allergic reaction and treat the symptoms through medication.
How Much Should a Pit Bull Eat?
PitbullsHome Personally-Tested Picks for Pitties:
- The Best foods for Pit Bull Puppies that are nutritious and delicious – Help them grow stronger without declaring bankruptcy 😉
- Training or entertaining? These treats for Pit Bulls are simply the best (with options for dogs with sensitive stomachs)
- According to my vet, these are the best foods for Pit Bulls with Skin Allergies.
- The Best Collars for Pitbulls (comfortable and dependable)
- The Best Pit Bull Leashes (Durable and Worth Every Penny)
- The Best Crates for Pitbulls (Affordable options for even the stronger Pitties)
- Best Muzzles for Pitbulls (Comfortable and Safe Muzzles)
- The Best Shampoos for Pitbulls (including shampoos for sensitive skin)
- The Best Chew Toys for Pit Bulls (That will actually stand their teeth)
- The Best Brushes for Pit Bulls (For amazing coats with the least grooming effort)
- The Most indestructible and comfiest Beds for Pit Bulls (That they will actually like and use)