American Bullies are characterized by having short, one-layered coats that don’t shed a lot. In order to keep their coats healthy and prevent them from developing any skin problems, you need to make sure you’re bathing using the right kind of shampoo.
There are many dog shampoos with different ingredients and uses. Some shampoos are made for dogs with allergies or to treat certain skin conditions, while other shampoos are made for dogs at a certain age.
To help you choose the best shampoos for American Bullies, here’s a compilation of some of the top-rated shampoos on the market.
My picks for the best Shampoos For American Bullies in 2022
|TropiClean Perfect Fur Dog Shampoo||Best Overall Shampoo|
|Arm & Hammer Ultra Fresh No Rinse Shampoo||Best Dry Shampoo|
|Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic and Antifungal Shampoo||Best Medicated Shampoo|
|PET CARE Sciences Tearless Puppy Shampoo and Conditioner||Best Shampoo for Puppies|
|Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Advanced Strength Dog Shampoo||Best Flea and Ticks Shampoo|
The 5 Best Shampoos for American Bullies in 2022
1. Best Overall Shampoo – TropiClean Perfect Fur Dog Shampoo
This TropiClean shampoo is ideal for American Bullies of 12 weeks of age and older.
It’s made from natural plant-based and mineral-based ingredients, and it’s free from paraben, dye, sulfate, and any harsh chemicals. This formula will help strengthen the dog’s hair follicles and reduce shedding.
It will effectively clean any dirt on the dog’s coat and exfoliate dead skin to give the coat a shiny, healthy appearance.
It works as a conditioner as it locks moisture inside to hydrate the dog’s skin. It also works as a moisturizer to soothe any dryness or irritation.
- It’s made from natural plant-based and mineral-based ingredients
- It’s free of paraben, sulfate, dye, and any harsh chemicals
- It works as a conditioner to hydrate the dog’s skin
- It works as a moisturizer to soothe dryness and irritation
- It strengthens hair follicles and reduces shedding
- It effectively cleans dirt and exfoliates dead skin to keep the coat shiny
- It leaves a white powder residue on the coat if it’s not properly rinsed
- It’s not suitable for dogs younger than 12 weeks of age
If you are looking for an overall high-quality shampoo that effectively cleans, exfoliates, conditions, and moisturizes the dog’s coat, then this is the best option for you.
2. Best Dry Shampoo – Arm & Hammer Ultra Fresh No Rinse Shampoo
This dry shampoo is formulated specifically for dogs who don’t like taking full baths.
It’s made from natural ingredients and infused with baking soda, which makes it perfect for combatting unpleasant odors and keeping the dog’s coat looking its best between baths.
The formula is also pH-balanced and paraben-free, which makes it suitable for dogs with sensitive skin as it won’t cause irritation or any other skin problems.
It comes in various forms, including foam shampoo, 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner, and spray shampoo. It also comes in various scents, including citrus, Mint, and Coconut.
- It doesn’t need rinsing with water
- It is pH-balanced and paraben-free
- It’s suitable for dogs with sensitive skin
- It is made from natural ingredients and infused with baking soda
- It’s ideal for combatting unpleasant odors
- It keeps the dog’s coat looking clean in between baths
- It comes in various forms and scents
- It tends to leave a sticky residue if it’s not lathered properly into the dog’s coat
If you are looking for an effective shampoo that will easily keep your dog’s coat looking clean and smelling fresh without a full bath, then this is the best option for you.
3. Best Medicated Shampoo – Veterinary Formula Antiseptic and Antifungal Shampoo
This medicated shampoo is one of the best on the market as it can be used to treat various skin conditions and comes at an affordable price.
Its formula contains fast-acting ingredients such as benzethonium chloride and ketoconazole, which will help quickly treat bacterial infections, yeast infections, allergic reactions, and other skin conditions.
It’s pH-balanced, which makes it suitable for dogs with sensitive skin. It contains aloe vera and glycerine to help soothe any inflammation or irritation on the dog’s skin.
Keep in mind that you need to consult with a vet before using a medicated shampoo to make sure that it will help treat your dog’s condition. It’s not recommended to keep using medicated shampoo after all the symptoms are gone.
- It can be used to treat various skin conditions, including infections and allergic reactions
- It contains fast-acting ingredients to quickly relieve symptoms
- It’s suitable for dogs with sensitive skin as it’s pH-balanced
- It contains aloe vera to soothe any inflammation or irritation
- It comes at an affordable price
- Its scent can be too strong and unpleasant for some owners
If you’re looking for an affordable medicated shampoo that will provide quick, effective treatment for various skin conditions, then this is the best option for you.
4. Best Shampoo for Puppies – PET CARE Sciences Tearless Puppy Shampoo and Conditioner
This shampoo from Pet Care is made especially for puppies as their skin is more sensitive than adult dogs.
Its formula is gentle on the puppy’s skin as it’s pH-balanced and free of harsh chemicals like sulfate or paraben. It won’t have any side effects on the dog’s skin or hinder its coat from producing natural oils.
It contains natural ingredients such as oat and aloe vera to hydrate the dog’s coat and keep it healthy as well as soothe any irritation. It will also leave a fresh coconut scent to keep your puppy smelling fresh for a long time.
- It’s made with a gentle formula specifically for puppies
- It won’t hinder the puppy’s coat from producing natural oils
- It contains natural ingredients
- It will hydrate the dog’s coat and soothe its skin
- It leaves a long-lasting coconut scent
- It’s pH-balanced and free of any harsh chemicals
- It contains a strong fragrance that might be overwhelming for some dogs and owners
If you’re looking for an effective shampoo with a gentle formula that’s suitable for a puppy’s sensitive skin, then this is the best option for you.
5. Best Flea and Ticks Shampoo – Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Advanced Strength Dog Shampoo
This Vet’s Best shampoo is made specifically to combat fleas and ticks in dogs at the age of 12 weeks and older.
Its formula is free of any harsh chemicals such as sulfates or paraben, yet it’s fast-acting and highly effective in killing flea eggs, flea larvae, fleas by contact, and ticks by contact.
It’s also infused with natural ingredients such as essential oils, rosemary, and peppermint scent. This will help clean the dog’s coat clean, soothe irritation from the insect bites, and leave a long-lasting fresh scent.
However, keep in mind that this is considered a medicated shampoo and should be used at the recommendation of a vet. It’s also recommended to stop using this kind of shampoo once all fleas and ticks are gone.
- It’s made for combating all kinds of fleas and ticks
- Its formula is fast-acting and free of any harsh chemicals
- It’s infused with natural ingredients such as essential oils and rosemary
- It cleans the dog’s coat and soothes irritation from the insect bites
- It leaves a long-lasting fresh scent
- It’s more expensive compared to other shampoos on the list
- Its scent can be too strong and overwhelming for some owners
- It can cause some dryness on the owner’s hands after applying it
If you’re searching for a shampoo with a strong, fast-acting formula that will effectively kill all kinds of fleas and ticks on the dog’s coat while also soothing its skin, then this is the best option for you.
How to Pick the Best Shampoo for American Bullies?
To choose the best shampoo for American Bullies, you have to determine the type of shampoo your dog needs. You also need to know the features that make the shampoo effective and safe for your dog.
So, let’s break down the main types of dog shampoos and the features to look out for when choosing a dog shampoo.
The Main Types of Dog Shampoos
There are various types of dog shampoos, and they all have different uses. So, let’s take a closer look at these types and what they’re used for:
This type of shampoo is suitable for dogs of all ages who don’t have sensitive skin or any allergies.
The formula of the shampoo mostly contains natural ingredients, and it’s mostly used to clean the dog’s coat of dirt during monthly baths. It won’t be effective in treating any skin conditions.
This type of shampoo doesn’t need that dog’s coat to be wet before application and doesn’t need to be rinsed with water.
It can be in the form of foam, powder, or spray. It’s completely safe on the dog’s skin, and it will give the dog’s coat a shiny appearance and a fresh smell.
It’s mostly used for dogs who don’t like water or taking baths. However, it’s not a replacement for bathing the dog and should be used in between regular baths.
This type of shampoo is also ideal for dogs who do not like taking baths as it can be easily and quickly applied to the dog’s coat, even if it has trouble staying still.
However, it’s different from dry shampoo because it needs the dog’s coat to be wet before application, and it needs to be rinsed off completely.
Try to be very careful while spraying the shampoo on the dog’s coat as you might accidentally get some of it into the dog’s ears or eyes which could cause irritation and itchiness,
Some dogs might also get scared from the sound of the spray coming out of the container, which will cause them to move around more, making bathtime even more challenging.
This type of shampoo is made using only natural ingredients only. It’s free of any chemicals or fragrances, which makes it completely safe to use on dogs with sensitive skin.
However, since natural shampoo does not contain any fragrances, it might cause the dog’s coat to have an unpleasant smell.
This type of shampoo is suitable for puppies from the age of 8 weeks and older.
Since puppies tend to have more sensitive skin than adult dogs, they need shampoos with a gentle formula that’s free from any harsh chemicals to avoid causing irritation or any other skin problems.
This type of shampoo is mainly used to treat various skin conditions in dogs, including seborrhea, mange, rashes, hives, parasitic infections, fungal infections, and allergic reactions.
The shampoo formula contains special ingredients and medication to quickly relieve the symptoms and treat the dog.
However, it’s highly recommended to consult a vet before using a medicated shampoo to make sure you’re using the right one for your dog’s condition. It’s also recommended to stop using it once the dog’s skin condition is fully treated.
Flea and Tick Shampoo
This type of shampoo is considered a medicated shampoo; however, it’s mostly used to kill any fleas and ticks in the dog’s coat.
Keep in mind that it’s also recommended to consult a vet before using a flea and tick shampoo on the dog’s coat and to top using it once all the fleas and ticks are killed.
If you have a Pitbull, you can also check out my picks for the best shampoos for Pitbulls here.
The Key Features to Look Out for When Choosing a Shampoo for Your Dog
As mentioned before, there are many shampoo products on the market with different features, and it can be overwhelming to choose the best one for
So, here’s a quick list of some key features to look out for when choosing a shampoo for your dog.
- The shampoo should be free of any harsh chemicals such as paraben and sulfate. It should also be free of fragrances, dye, and alcohol.
- The shampoo should contain all-natural ingredients or mostly-natural ingredients. It’s recommended to go for plant-based or mineral-based shampoos.
- The shampoo should not have any ingredients that might trigger an allergic reaction in the dog. Make sure to read all the ingredients listed on the back of the bottle before applying the shampoo.
- The shampoo should have a pH-balanced formula to reduce the risk of any skin conditions.
- The shampoo should be suitable for the dog’s skin condition and age.
- The shampoo should contain a conditioner or moisturizer to hydrate and soothe the dog’s skin.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Often Should You Bathe American Bullies?
You should bathe American Bullies once a month to clean their coats from dirt or grease. Since they have short, one-layered coats, they don’t need to be bathed too often. You might need to bathe more than once a month if they play outside in the dirt a lot.
What Skin Conditions Are American Bullies Prone to Develop?
The skin conditions that American Bullies are prone to develop include seborrhea, mange, rashes, hives, parasitic infections, fungal infections, and allergic reactions. To reduce the risk of developing any of these conditions, make sure you’re using a suitable shampoo for your dog.
Can You Use Human Shampoo for American Bullies?
You cannot use human shampoo for American Bullies. That is because dogs need a pH-balanced shampoo to prevent them from developing any skin conditions; meanwhile, human shampoos have low pH. Human shampoos also prevent the dog’s coat from producing protective natural oils.
My Top Picks for American Bullies!
If you like this article, share it! (it will mean a lot to us ❤️)
This article has been reviewed and edited by a vet, but it doesn’t replace your own vet. Please see your vet for specific and trusted advice. This site DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE and all the information provided here is meant for informational purposes only.