Choosing the best shampoos for Pit Bulls is not as hard as many of you might think. If you know what makes a certain shampoo suitable for your dog, then making a choice will be a piece of cake.
There are some things you should pay attention to before buying a shampoo for your Pitbull, like the type of shampoo as well as the dog’s skin condition and age.
There are many shampoo products for dogs on the market, and they all have different ingredients and uses. Some shampoos are formulated for dogs with allergies or to treat certain skin conditions, while other shampoos are formulated for dogs at a certain age.
To help you make the right choice, here are some recommendations for the best shampoos for Pit Bulls on the market.
My picks for the Best Shampoos for Pit Bulls
|TropiClean Gentle Coconut Dog Shampoo||Best Overall|
|Wahl Pet-Friendly Waterless No Rinse Shampoo||Best Dry Shampoo|
|Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic & Antiseborrheic Dog Shampoo||Best Medicated Shampoo|
|Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Dog Shampoo||Best Natural Shampoo|
|BioSilk For Dogs Tearless Shampoo||Best for Puppies|
The 5 Best Shampoos for Pit Bulls in 2022
1. Best Overall – TropiClean Gentle Coconut Dog Shampoo
TropiClean shampoo is a gentle, hypoallergenic shampoo that is made in the USA. It can be used for both puppies and adult dogs.
This amazing shampoo will effectively clean your dog’s coat and give it a shiny look. It will also leave a pleasant coconut scent to keep your dog smelling fresh.
It’s made from natural ingredients and has a pH-balanced formula. It’s also paraben-free and dye free. So, it’s safe to use for dogs with allergies or sensitive skin, and you will not need to buy a separate moisturizer.
- It can be used for puppies and adult dogs
- It’s pH-balanced, paraben-free, and dye-free
- It suitable for dogs with allergies or sensitive skin
- It’s made from natural ingredients
- It works as a moisturizer on the dog’s skin
- It has a pleasant coconut scent
- The coconut scent tends to wear off quickly.
If you are looking for a gentle shampoo that can be used on Pit Bulls of all ages and skin conditions without having any side effects, then this is the best option for you.
2. Best Dry Shampoo – Wahl Pet-Friendly Waterless No Rinse Shampoo
This dry shampoo is made especially for dogs who don’t like water and bathing as it doesn’t need rinsing. All you need to do is dry the dog’s coat with a towel, then brush it.
It’s made from natural plant-based ingredients such as oatmeal, aloe vera, coconut, lime, and lemon verbena, which will make the dog’s coat more healthy. It’s also pH-balanced, paraben-free, and alcohol-free, so it’s suitable for dogs with sensitive skin.
You can use the shampoo as a spot cleaner between monthly baths to give the dog’s coat a shiny appearance and a fresh smell. It can also be used as a moisturizer to soothe dry or irritated skin, which will help reduce itching and shedding.
- It doesn’t need to be rinsed with water and can be used between baths
- It is pH-balanced, paraben-free, and alcohol-free
- It’s suitable for dogs with sensitive skin
- It is made from natural plant-based ingredients to make the dog’s coat healthy
- It can be used as a moisturizer for dry or irritated skin
- It gives the dog’s coat a shiny appearance and a fresh smell
- Its scent might be too strong and overwhelming for owners and dogs with a sensitive sense of smell
If you are looking for an effective shampoo for Pit Bulls who don’t like to be bathed often to keep them looking clean and smelling fresh, then this is the best option for you.
3. Best Medicated Shampoo – Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic & Antiseborrheic Dog Shampoo
This Veterinary Formula shampoo is one of the best and most affordable medicated shampoos on the market. It can be used to treat various skin conditions in dogs over 12 months old, including seborrhea, mange, parasitic infections, or fungal infections.
It has a pH-balanced, paraben-free, and dye-free formula. It also contains fast-acting ingredients such as coal tar, salicylic acid, and micronized sulfur.
It will quickly relieve symptoms associated with different skin conditions, such as inflammation, greasy skin, flaky skin, rashes, bald spots, and itching.
Keep in mind that you need to consult with a vet before using a medicated shampoo to make sure you’re using it correctly. You can keep using the shampoo until the dog’s condition is treated completely.
- It can effectively treat various skin conditions
- It contains fast-acting ingredients to quickly relieve symptoms
- It’s pH-balanced, paraben-free, and dye-free
- It comes at an affordable price
- It can only be used for dogs that are over 12 months old
- Its scent can be too strong and unpleasant
If you’re looking for a medicated shampoo that will provide quick, effective treatment for various skin conditions at an affordable price, then this is the best option for you.
4. Best Natural Shampoo – Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Dog Shampoo
Burt’s Bees shampoo is one of the best natural dog shampoos on the market. It’s recommended by many vets, especially for dogs with sensitive, dry and irritated skin.
Its formula contains all-natural ingredients such as colloidal oat flour, beeswax, and honey to keep the dog’s coat healthy. It’s also free of artificial fragrances, paraben, sulfate, or any other harsh chemicals that might harm your dog.
It’s effective for cleaning the dog’s coat and moisturizing its skin, so you will not need to buy any extra products. It can also be used for puppies as well as adult dogs.
On top of all that, it’s environmentally friendly as it’s packed in 80% recycled bottles.
- It can be used for puppies and adult dogs
- It works as a moisturizer to soothe irritated or dry skin
- It’s free of fragrances, paraben, sulfate, or any harsh chemicals
- It contains all-natural healthy ingredients
- It’s packed in 80% recycled bottles
- It doesn’t lather as much as other kinds of shampoos, so you will need to use larger amounts to cover the dog’s coat.
If you are looking for an all-natural, environmentally friendly shampoo that works for Pit Bulls of all ages and skin conditions, then this is the best option for you.
5. Best for Puppies – BioSilk For Dogs Tearless Shampoo
Biosilk shampoo is specially formulated for puppies. It is suitable for puppies of 8 weeks of age and older.
Since puppies have more sensitive than adult dogs, this shampoo’s formula is very gentle on their skin and won’t cause any side effects. It contains natural ingredients, and it’s paraben-free, sulfate-free, and pH-balanced.
It will effectively clean, moisturizes, and condition the puppy’s coat, so you won’t need to use any other products. It will also leave a long-lasting fresh jasmine scent to keep your puppy smelling fresh.
- It’s ideal for puppies of 8 weeks of age or older
- It’s made from natural ingredients
- It has a gentle formula that’s safe to use on puppies with sensitive skin
- It works as a moisturizer and conditioner
- It leaves a long-lasting jasmine scent
- It’s pH-balanced, paraben-free, and sulfate-free
- It can be difficult to squeeze the shampoo out of the bottle
If you’re looking for an effective shampoo for your Pit Bull puppy that won’t have any side effects on its sensitive skin, then this is the best option for you.
How to Pick the Best Shampoo for Pit Bulls?
Pit Bulls are known to have sensitive skin, so it’s important to choose a suitable shampoo for them to prevent them from developing any skin conditions.
Here are some things you need to consider when picking a shampoo for your Pit Bull:
Type of Shampoo
There are 5 main types of dog shampoos, and each one of them has a certain use. So, let’s take a closer look at these types:
Medicated shampoos are mainly used to treat skin conditions in dogs such as seborrhea, mange, parasitic infections, or fungal infections. The formula of the shampoo contains special ingredients that will quickly relieve all symptoms.
However, it’s highly recommended to consult a vet before using a medicated shampoo to make sure you’re using the right one for your dog’s condition. It’s also recommended to stop using the shampoo and switch to a regular shampoo once the dog’s skin condition is fully treated.
Dry shampoo is a type of shampoo that doesn’t need that dog’s coat to be wet before application and doesn’t to be rinsed with water, which makes it ideal for dogs who don’t like water or taking baths.
It can be in the form of foam or powder, and it’s completely safe on the dog’s skin.
It will give the dog’s coat a shiny appearance and a fresh smell. However, keep in mind that it’s not a replacement for bathing the dog and should be used between baths.
Spray shampoo is another kind of shampoo that’s ideal for dogs who do not like bathing because it’s easy to apply on the dog’s coat even if it moves around a lot.
However, you need to be very careful while spraying the shampoo as you might accidentally get into the dog’s ears or eyes which could cause them to be irritated.
Some dogs also get scared from the sound of the spray coming out of the container, which will make bathtime even more challenging.
Hypoallergenic shampoos are mainly used for dogs that are prone to allergies. The formula contains special ingredients that are unlikely to trigger an allergic reaction in your dog or cause it to develop any skin conditions.
All-Natural shampoos are made using natural ingredients only, and they’re free of any chemicals, which makes them safe to use on dogs with sensitive skin.
However, many owners have a problem with how these natural shampoos smell as they don’t contain any fragrances and might cause the dog’s coat to smell unpleasant.
The Dog’s Age
The Pit Bull’s age affects the kind of shampoo you use because puppies tend to have more sensitive skin than adult dogs, so they need shampoos with special formulas that won’t have any side effects on their skin.
Most shampoos are suitable for dogs of all ages, but there are some shampoos that are specifically formulated for puppies. So, make sure to check the information on the shampoo bottle to see the age it’s suitable for.
The Dog’s Skin Condition
Pit Bulls have sensitive skin, which makes them more prone to developing various skin conditions that can cause a lot of uncomfortable symptoms, such as hair loss. You can learn more about why Pit Bull lose their hair here.
It’s very important to choose a shampoo that’s suitable for your dog’s skin condition.
If your dog has sensitive skin, it’s best to avoid shampoos with harsh chemicals such as sulfates or parabens. Instead, make sure the shampoo contains natural ingredients such as aloe vera or oatmeal. Also, make sure that the shampoo has a pH-balanced formula to reduce the risk of developing any skin conditions.
If the dog already suffers from a certain skin condition, then you need to consult with a vet about using a medicated shampoo to treat these conditions. You can check
Pit Bulls are also prone to allergies, so make sure to check all the ingredients in the shampoo to see if there’s anything that might trigger an allergic reaction, even if it’s an all-natural shampoo.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Often Should Pit Bulls Be Bathed?
Pit Bulls should be bathed once a month to remove any dirt or grease accumulated on their coats. Since Pit Bulls have short coats that produce natural oil, they don’t need to be bather frequently. It mainly depends on how often the dog plays outside or how much it gets dirty.
Are Pit Bulls Prone to Develop Skin Problems?
Pit Bulls are prone to develop skin problems because they have sensitive skin. These skin problems include rashes, hives, infections, and allergic reactions. To prevent the dog from developing skin problems, you need to improve its diet and use a suitable shampoo when bathing it.
How to Correctly Apply Shampoo on Dogs?
To correctly apply shampoo to dogs, you first need to wet the dog’s skin from its neck down. Next, apply an appropriate amount of shampoo to your hand and lather it evenly on your dog’s body. Finally, rinse off the shampoo completely because any remains can cause irritation or dryness.
Why Do Dogs Sometimes Smell Bad Even After Bathing?
Dogs sometimes smell bad after bathing because they’re not dried properly. When there’s remaining water on the dog’s coat, it will react with yeast or bacteria and release a distinctively bad odor. They might also smell bad due to infections, organ diseases, or flatulence.
If this is a problem you’re still suffering from, you can learn how to make your pitbull smell amazing here.
Is Dry Shampoo Safe for Pit Bulls?
Dry shampoo is safe for Pit Bulls. It will give their coat a shiny look and fresh smell between bath times. All you need to do is apply the dry shampoo on the dog’s body and spread it evenly using a brush. Keep in mind that dry shampoo isn’t a permanent replacement for bathing.
Can You Use Human Shampoo for Dogs?
You cannot use human shampoo for dogs. That’s because human shampoo has low pH, which leads to irritation and other skin problems in dogs. Human shampoos also wash away the protective natural oils that the dog’s coat produces. So, make sure to use a pH-balanced shampoo that’s made for dogs.
PitbullsHome Personally-Tested Picks for Pitties:
- The Best foods for Pit Bull Puppies that are nutritious and delicious – Help them grow stronger without declaring bankruptcy 😉
- Training or entertaining? These treats for Pit Bulls are simply the best (with options for dogs with sensitive stomachs)
- According to my vet, these are the best foods for Pit Bulls with Skin Allergies.
- The Best Collars for Pitbulls (comfortable and dependable)
- The Best Pit Bull Leashes (Durable and Worth Every Penny)
- The Best Crates for Pitbulls (Affordable options for even the stronger Pitties)
- Best Muzzles for Pitbulls (Comfortable and Safe Muzzles)
- The Best Shampoos for Pitbulls (including shampoos for sensitive skin)
- The Best Chew Toys for Pit Bulls (That will actually stand their teeth)
- The Best Brushes for Pit Bulls (For amazing coats with the least grooming effort)
- The Most indestructible and comfiest Beds for Pit Bulls (That they will actually like and use)
If you like this article, share it! (it will mean a lot to us ❤️)